Lowe's Toolbox for Education FAQ's
- Q: Who is eligible for the Lowe's Toolbox for Education grant program?
A: Any individual public/charter K-12 school or non-profit parent group associated with that public/charter K-12 school. Parent groups that are applying (PTO, PTA, etc.) must have an independent EIN and official 501c(3) status from the IRS. If your group does not have 501c(3) status, please apply through your school. Pre-schools are not eligible.
- Q: How do I submit an application for my school or parent group?
A: Applications are submitted online via this website. In order to submit an application your school must be registered in our database. You should confirm this beforehand by going through the first step of the application process: Verifying Your Contact Information. If your school is not currently registered in our database it can be added, but it can take up to 24 hours to process. You can register your school even if you are not ready to submit your application. If you wait until the deadline date to submit your application, and your school is not already registered you may not be able to submit the application.
- Q: Can I view a an example of a completed, successful grant application?
A: Yes. You can view a completed, successful, sample application by following this link: Lowe's Toolbox for Education - Sample Grant Application.
- Q: How do I find my school in the database?
A: The pre-application checklist guides you to confirm that your school is in the database. You need to do this by going through the first step of the application: Verifying Your Contact Information. When you click on "Apply Now", it will take you through the initial stages of the application process – and the contact information is entered there. You do not need to fill the application out at that time. Once you have verified the contact information or added it, you can either "X" out of the application process or click the back arrow on your web browser to leave the application. The contact information will be saved.
- Q: What kind of projects will qualify for the Lowe's Toolbox for Education program?
A: There is a preference for funding requests that have a permanent impact such as facility enhancement (both indoor and outdoor) as well as landscaping/clean up type projects. Projects that encourage parent involvement and build stronger community spirit will be favored. Please note the grant money cannot be used to pay for memorials, stipends, salaries, artists in residence, field trips, scholarships, or third party funding. Only 10% of any award granted can be used toward outside resources such as labor, installation, consultation and delivery.
2016-2017 Grant Application Update
For more than 65 years, Lowe's has supported the communities we call home. At a time when schools are struggling to support the basic needs of their students, the Lowe's Charitable and Educational Foundation recognizes the importance of financial support.
This year LCEF is seeking ways to provide the tools to help educators and parent groups through educational challenges by providing the greatest impact with basic necessities being the priority. Please keep this focus in mind as you apply for a Lowe's Toolbox for Education grant in the 2016-2017 academic year.
Please keep this focus in mind as you apply for a Lowe's Toolbox for Education® grant in the 2015-2016 academic year. Thank you.
The grant funds are not use for:
Individual families (including scholarships)
Religious denomination-sponsored programs or events
Special events, such as conferences, dinners, sport competitions, festivals, art exhibits
Sponsorship of fundraising events (i.e. dinners, walks, golf tournaments and auctions)
Goodwill advertising or marketing
Political, labor, veteran/fraternal organizations, civic clubs or candidates
Sports teams or athletic events
Animal rescue and support groups
Travel-related events, including student trips or tours
Development or production of books, films, videos or television programs
Capital campaigns, endowments or endowed chairs
Activities of organizations serving primarily their own membership
Continuing education for teachers and staff
Institutional overhead and/or indirect cost (i.e. salaries, stipends, benefits and most project labor costs)
Tickets to events
- Q: How much money is available for our school with the Lowe's Toolbox for Education grant?
A: Between $2,000 and $5,000 per school is available. Lowe's will donate up to $5 million to schools and school parent teacher groups at as many as 1,000 different schools during the school year.
- Q: Is there a minimum or maximum amount I can apply for?
A: In order to apply, the requested grant amount must be between $2,000 and $5,000.
- Q: Is there a timeframe by which we will need to complete our project, in order to qualify for the grant?
A: Yes. Lowe's will only consider grants for projects that will be completed within one year of when the grant is received. A Toolbox grant can be used as part of a large-scale project, like a playground, as long as the grant will be used to complete a phase of the project that can be completed within the year of the award.
- Q: Have you received 1,500 applications? Is it worth it for me to apply or should I wait for the next deadline?
A: If the application process is still open, you should apply. Once 1500 applications are received, Lowe’s reserves the right to close the cycle. If that happens, the ‘Apply Now’ button will no longer appear on the website.
- Q: What is an EIN#?
A: An EIN # is your parent group or school Employer Identification Number (EIN). It is also known as a Tax Identification Number (TIN) or a Federal Tax Identification number (FIN). It is a unique number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification. The number should be 9 digits in length.
- Q: Will our parent group be required to use Lowe's materials and/or products to complete our project?
A: No, your group will not be required to use Lowe's products to complete your project with the Toolbox grant. Lowe's would certainly appreciate the business but they understand that some of the materials for specific projects would not be available through Lowe's. The committee will, however, take into consideration how your project fits the Lowe's brand.
- Q: Will our local Lowe's store offer us any assistance in completing our project?
A: The ability of Lowe's to offer volunteer assistance will vary from store to store. This assistance is limited to some Lowe's employees volunteering their time to help with the labor involved and does NOT include any donation or discount on materials. Please contact your local Lowe's manager for more information on how they can be involved.
- Q: When will we be notified if we have won?
A: All applicants will be notified of their status via email approximately 3 months after the application deadline. When submitting an application, the contact email address included should be for a contact that will be available throughout the grant process.
- Q: What are the application deadlines?
A: There are typically two Lowe's Toolbox for Education grant cycles in a school year. The fall 2016 deadline is 11:59pm EST on September 26, 2016. The spring 2017 deadline has not yet been announced. Lowe's reserves the right to close the application process if 1500 applications are received.
- Q: May more than one application be considered from any one school during the same grant cycle?Q: May more than one application be considered from any one school during the same grant cycle?
A: No, only one application may be submitted per school for any given grant period.
- Q: If a school/parent group applies and is not successful in obtaining a grant, may they apply again during the next grant cycle? And if so, could they apply for the same project (with some modifications to the proposal)?
A: Lowe's Charitable & Educational Foundation limits organizations to one application within a 12 month period. Yes, your organization may submit an application for the same project (with some modifications to the proposal) after 12 months.
- Q: If a school/parent group applies during one grant cycle of the year and is awarded a grant, are they eligible to apply again during the same school year?
A: No, the Lowe's Charitable and Education Foundation will only consider a previously funded group's grant application after twelve months have passed since the original award.
- Q: We are looking to fund a larger education project for up to $100,000. How do we do that?
A: The regular Toolbox grant awards between $2,000 and $5,000. There is a larger Toolbox grant offered for amounts over $5,000 which has a different application. If you would like to submit a grant for over $5,000, the application can be found here. Please follow the prompts and you will be taken to the Lowe’s Charitable and Educational Foundation application for the large Toolbox for Education grant.
- Q: Will you send me a copy of my application?
A: Once your application is submitted successfully, you will receive a confirmation email which includes a copy of the information submitted in the application. Please save this email as we do not have the capability to send a copy of the application.
- Q: What happens when the project is complete?
A: We ask that a few additional items be checked off once your project is finished.
1. Complete an online survey that you will receive via email approximately 3-6 months after you receive your award. In the survey, we will ask how your project is going, if it’s complete, has it been started, etc.
2. Send us any news clips, promotional materials or digital pictures related to your project. Share your projects photos via social media and use hashtag #Toolbox4Education when posting.
Lowe's Toolbox for Education
c/o PTO Today
100 Stonewall Boulevard, Suite 3
Wrentham, MA 02093