Here are some helpful hints for sharing your school’s grant project with the community.
Prepare for your Toolbox for Education media announcement
- Contact your local Lowe's store. Your local Lowe's store manager should already be aware of your grant success and will be happy to assist you with the purchase of materials for your project. Also, ask your local store contact about providing volunteers for a "Lowe's Day" – a day at your school to help get your project started. For your local Lowe's store contact, refer to the list provided at www.toolboxforeducation.com/winners.html.
- Use our press release template as a guide and fill in details of your group's announcement.
- Build your media list. If you do not already have relationships with your local media, you might contact your local Chamber of Commerce for contact information or call your local media outlets and ask for names, fax numbers and email addresses of assignment editors (television), metro/city editors, community news editors, and photo editors (print).
Contact your local media
- Fax or email your press releases to selected media contacts.
- The best time to contact media is typically in the morning, 9 a.m. – noon.
- Follow up with a phone call. If you have planned a special event surrounding your project - like a "Lowe's Day" or volunteer day - invite media to attend at a specific time (10 a.m. – noon is typically a good time for media attendance) and be sure to mention if there will be good photo opportunities. After the event, follow up with media who expressed interest but couldn't attend, and send them digital photos of your event.
Keep track of your media coverage
- Make a list of the media who covered your story.
- Secure copies of your print media coverage and tapes of television coverage for posterity and to share with your school's parents and teachers.
We look forward to hearing about your success! Send us a copy of your print and broadcast coverage as well as a list of all media who covered your project and we'll share your success with future Toolbox for Education applicants. Please forward copies and your list of media pickups to Community Relations, NB5RP, Lowe's Companies, Inc., 1000 Lowe's Blvd., Mooresville, NC 28117.
Every year, Lowe's produces an online Social Responsibility report. Lowe's would like to consider including your project in this report. To do so, they need a few things:
- Signed photo release waiver of all adults and students in pictures submitted.